Pages

Saturday, April 4, 2009


So I went to a double feature last night...which has been a rare occurence these days...even for just a single feature... First up was Fast and Furious, seriously I had to relieve the old days of watching the original and then watching guys in cars with half of the speed of the ones from the movie get pulled over for speeding right out of the Fox theatres parking lot. Oh...good times. Needless to say the movie didn't disappoint. It was what I expected it would be and that is all...
The second movie however appealed to my more humorous (or so I thought) nature and contained an audience to whom I related. We went to a 9:55pm showing of Adventureland, which I expected much more than what I actually received. Unfortunately the characters portrayed by Bill Hader and Kristen Wiig were not featured nearly as much as I expected them to be. HOWEVER, when they were in the scene they definitely stole it, because they were the only comedy relief in the whole film, besides the character of Frigo, played by that kid who in the AT&T rollover minutes commercials...flippin' hilarious character is all I have to say. The rest of the movie seemed to be filled with a very maudlin look at the decline of the American family and how that affected its youth that were becoming America's present in 1987. A good comparison being a America in '87 was also going through a pretty hefty recession as we are now. The character of James, played by Jesse Eisenberg, set the tone of the youth that existed then and still exist today... totally unprepared for the future with expectations of continuous parental help. The mixtape he made for Kristen Stewart's character, Emily, set the musical tone of "sad-bummer songs".
Also, Kristen Stewart proved that her range is pretty stationary (stationery?...I can never remember)---> pothead with severe anxiety and depression. And on another side note: what is it with teenagers and hipsters overuse of the "f" word. Seriously, do they think it makes them sound smarter? Because it doesn't. It puts a limit on their vocabulary, however, extensive it actually may be, and makes them sound truly ignorant.
I didn't really understand what the underlying plot of the story actually was...but I guess it was an informal social commentary of the continuous decline of the American family and education and the lack of career choices for college students straight from graduation...I really don't know... But that's my theory. You can form your own and get back to me on that. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails