Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Where Have All My Ponytail Holders Gone?

I'm a commuter.

I also listen to various radio stations
to keep myself occupied on my 
trip into town, 
including Rock 99.5 
with Mojo in the Morning. 

I usually enjoy a little banter
in between songs 
and today was no different. 
However, today they talked 
about a fight that broke out 
at Point Mallard in Decatur, AL
on Memorial Day. 

Apparently two girls got into 
a serious fist fight and beat the crap 
out of each other, which resulted in the 
park being closed early to prevent 
more injuries to others not directly involved. 

Anyway, the question that Mojo posed
was "How has bullying gotten so bad
and why are so many girls meaner these days?"

And not to be a jerk, but 
not one intelligent person called
in to discuss this topic. 
Most of the callers were
men, who I couldn't understand
because their accents were so 
thick and they were too busy blaming 
the government and boys that wear baggy pants. 

What in the world?

I'm sure you're asking me, 
why didn't you call in, Brittni?

Well, my phone is terrible and
it dies whenever I try to use for more than 
one minute increments, which is no bueno.

However, had I called in, 
I would have spoken not about one factor, 
but many. 

Mojo spoke about the blame solely on the parents, 
and yes, I completely agree that parents have 
given up a lot of authority and responsibility, 
when it comes to raising children now. 

But also, children are getting dumber
because their education system is failing
them. And not in the "I'm literally failing you
and you can't progress to the next grade."
More like, "I'm going to pass you, because
I don't get paid enough to enjoy my job
and care about the welfare of my students
and future of America."

Children are no longer
taught respect for others
or themselves
and are now only taught to look
out for number one. 

I thought my verse of the day
was pretty poignant for this topic, 
because if everyone adhered
to this we wouldn't have 
to worry about closing a water park
because two girls couldn't control themselves.

Pride leads to disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.

~ Proverbs 11:2









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails