Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Horse That's Not Running

The song "Pinball Wizard" by The Who came on the radio today while I was driving home for lunch and it automatically put me in a good mood. What kind of power does music possess that it can change our demeanor in an instant?

I caught the beginning of High Fidelity yesterday and John Cusack's character, Rob, was talking about his top 5 breakups and the power of pop music to make him miserable.

"What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?"

Good question, Rob. Here's the answer for you. You were miserable first. Even when Barry played "Walking in Sunshine," you wore a scowl. Who scowls at "Walking on Sunshine?" A jerk, that's who. Maybe you have a problem compartmentalizing your sadness in order to enjoy the hidden pleasures in life. Now I am not saying completely disregard the bad things that have happened in your life, however, you shouldn't let that sadness rule your life or you will be telling yet another story about the "girl that got away." You know why she got away? Your maudlin personality forced her to stick her head in the oven, sunshine.

Now, Rob, here is the song that made me smile today. Enjoy. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails