Pages

Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Sharing Song

So I have made it to Day 2 of Lent without a mishap...not that I expect to mess up on my promises of self-denial from french fries and fanfiction. I just thought that I should let everyone know that they can count on me to keep them up to date on my every Lent happening...not really.


So I haven't really seen my roommates in about a week...and no one is out of town. Is that bad?

I finished reading William Henry is a Fine Name by Cathy Gohlke. This book apparently won a Christy award and rightfully so. I seemed to have picked up many books from the library this past week that had to do with great human suffering. This particular book is about the coming-of-age of Robert Glover, a 13-year old boy living in Elkton, Maryland, whose best friend is a "colored" boy named William Henry. Robert discovers many of his family's secrets as he turns 13 and finds out his dad is a part of the Underground Railroad; his grandfather owns a plantation in North Carolina and has sired a son from one of the slaves he had sold after the birth; his mother is disillusioned to the "Southern gentility" and the "Peculiar institution" that is slavery; and his cousin Alex will be following the footsteps of the Southern institution. As Robert struggles to find his place within his own family, whether or not he wants to support his mother's way of life or follow his heart and help his grandfather's slave son escape to Canada.

Very well written and I definitely teared up a time or two. I am looking forward to reading the 2nd book in the series, which is 5 years down the road, when Robert is considering joining the Civil War, but is once again brought back to the South to save his mother and cousin, Emily.

More to come tomorrow...because LORD knows that I don't have anything else to do.

And a guy yelled at me through email today because he thought I insulted him on Craigslist. I didn't really.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails